Thursday, March 10, 2011

Reading : Only 13


I came across this book while browsing the bookshop in JungCeylon, Phuket. I was always wondering about sex-workers in Thailand, and this book opened my eyes on this industry. The book was not cheap though - maybe for my standard : THB 594.00 (MYR 60.23)
The story is about Boontah who later change her name to Lon, when she enterred the industry. What also caught my attention is this lady is the same age as me, therefore I can do a little bit comparison of the reported life vs mine whereby our country is just next to each other. But of course, she hails from NorthEast of Thailand.
Life since a little girl was extremely hard, and with lots of beatings. For us, going to school is nothing but to those featured in the book is such a privilege. Running away from home when she was barely a teenager, entering into psychiatric wards, and venturing into the flesh market at 13 is something we can barely image.
I had heard of real life stories of someone I seen before - she is such a beautiful girl, and the family was well to do. Of course, his dad was dealing with some illegal business, & playing with other ppl's wife. She chose to sell flesh rather than to work. And guess who is the pimp - her husband. Why would someone so young, medium educated & beautiful woman chose this road? Sigh!!
Back to the book, it's worth reading but I was wondering how is Lon right now. Did she managed to find the power to heal herself, & where is she right now? England, or back to Thailand....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too thought it was worth the read, a very touching story. After many trips to Thailand, it has given me a better understanding and a respect for the girls who endure so much. I too was left wondering and with unanswered questions. Where Lon is now, did she heal herself, what about the baby she gave birth too and how did she meet the authors??